Trade Safely – Avoid D’em Pesky Scammers!
Trade Safely – We care about your safety online.
NEVER transfer money to someone you don’t know. Our recommendations to ensure you buy and sell your wedding items safely on Capriess. We NEVER recommend for you to send or wire money; you should only ever trade in person.
Unfortunately, pesky and annoying online scammers exist. We can’t stand them and we certainty do not tolerate them – in other words we (grossly) detest them.
To make sure you’re as safe as possible you’ll probably see our obvious “Trade Safely” message everywhere on the Capriess website, as well as in our email communications. It’s just our friendly reminder to you of the importance of always being safe when selling or buying items online.
If you feel you are being scammed (or have any other issues with your safety online) please do not hesitate to email us right away via our Contact Page. Emma, our Customer Service Rock Star, is here to help.
Besides Emma’s support, we’ve also put together this list below to help you trade more safely.
Safely Tips for our awesome Buyers
- We insist that all transactions should take place locally and in person. This means we never EVER recommend or suggest you buy or sell items on Capriess unless it is done so in person. When trading in person please always take someone else with you when exchanging money and always meet in a public place (so basically don’t go alone and meet in a place where no one can see you).
- Our online marketplace does not offer Buyers any sort of protection.
- If you’re unable to speak to the Seller to arrange an inspection in person then we strong suggest you do not go ahead with the transaction.
- We suggest you always inspect items before making a payment in person.
- Because you should only trade in person, you should NEVER (EVER) transfer money to overseas bank accounts or use payment services such as Western Union and Money Gram. These types of transfers are prohibited and are not allowed when using Capriess. And for goodness sake, please do NOT scan a copy of a bank cheque and send it to the Seller.
- Please visit the Scamwatch website as it provide more detail on other things you can do to be safe when buying or selling items online. But as mentioned above, please always feel free to email us if you have any questions.
Safe Tips for our friendly Sellers
- Exactly like our tip for Buyers, Sellers need to always meet the Buyer in person. We insist that all transactions should take place locally and in person. This means we never, EVER, recommend or suggest you buy or sell items on Capriess unless it is done so in person. When trading in person please always take someone else with you when exchanging money and always meet in a public place (so basically don’t go alone and meet in a place where no one can see you).
- Our online marketplace does not offer Sellers any sort of protection.
- Because you should only trade in person, you should NEVER (EVER) accept money from overseas buyers or overseas bank accounts. Never accept payment services such as Western Union and Money Gram. Make sure to only trade in person and if the Buyer refuses then don’t proceed with the transaction.
- Don’t sell to an overseas buyer, Capriess is a marketplace only for people residing and living in Australia.
- Don’t respond to mobile text messages from Buyers who ask you to send them an email and a phone number.
- Don’t trust a Buyer who offers to pay more than your asking price.
- Don’t do business with Buyers who can only be contacted via email.
- Ignore messages from Buyers who use these common fraud phrases when contacting you:
- “due to nature of my job I will not be able to come for inspection”
- “I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up”
- “You can now send me your PayPal email, so I can pay in right away”
- “am ok with the price and the condition”
- “Fax or e-mail us the scanned copy of your receipt”
- “I apologize for my late reply but we are right now at Hospital with our daughter”
For more information about online safety in selling through a classifieds website, please visit Scamwatch